Yoga, Nature & Culture in Morocco
On this journey, Yoga will be combined with nature & culture excursions. Together we will immerse ourselves into an authentic Morocco and get in touch with the native landscapes and hospitality of the people. Essaouira is known as the “pearl of the Atlantic” and is a special little port town in beautiful surroundings. It is here where argan trees grow and the “Moroccan oil” is produced. We will have a close look at its production on one of our excursions and visit the women who extract by hand this “liquid gold”, as it is called here. Discover and enjoy Yoga, Nature and authentic Berber Culture!
Essaouira, a romantic port town with its whitewashed houses and blue shutters and small streets is situated on the Atlantic coast (180km west of Marrakech). The town has an enchanting medina (old town) with colorful souks (markets), a long beautiful sandy beach and the 18th-century fortifications “Scala del Mar”. The Berbers are Morocco’s indigenous population, and they still maintain their own simple way of living, in sympathy with nature.
June 15 - 23, 2019
Per person, double occupancy, shared bath include Yoga classes and meditative exercises, four excursions with Berberlands, and eight nights at Douar Noujoum, including full board with vegetarian food, tea/coffee and water (on 2 excursion days we eat out).
- Early bird rate valid until Dec 12, 2018 from 959 eruo
- Regular booking rate on Dec 12, 2018 from 1049 euro
- Single occupancy and private bath available
- The maximum group size is limited to 12 participants
In the mornings and evenings, we practice Yoga for about 60 to 120 min. - remaining mindful, loving and focused throughout. In the mornings we start with vitalizing breathing techniques (Pranayama) and invigorating body postures (Asanas). After the excursions we unwind with gentle stretching postures and deep relaxation. On the free afternoons, we will dedicate the yoga session to a special subject (e.g. hip openers & forward bends, back bends & twists). The complementary singing with harmonium accompaniment helps facilitate a deeper involvement and feeling of the asanas. If you are new to yoga, beginners are also welcome!
Yoga Instructor Sandra Bicker
Sandra is a certified Yoga Instructor with 720 hours of teacher training. She has studied and practiced Yoga since 2002 and continues to deepen her knowledge and understanding in a variety of Yoga and Yoga Therapy styles through ongoing trainings and workshops. Her classes include Pranayama (breathing techniques), classical Hatha Yoga Asanas (body postures), therapeutic sequences and deep relaxation. Sandra’s approach to teaching is mindful, loving, and focused throughout - the intensity of the class is crafted to match the class and location needs (sometimes more dynamic, sometimes more relaxing). Sandra has taken vocal training in Germany and India and often sings and plays harmonium when she leads Yoga retreats in Europe, Africa and Asia.
Accommodation and Meals
Douar Noujoum means “the village of stars”. This is reflected in the star shape of its natural pool and by the fact that this is an oasis of peace where one can easily live magic moments immersed in calmness and tranquility. Body, mind and soul relax in the beautiful garden with its roses, bougainvillea, lemon and olive trees and pomegranate, and in the private hammam. We will be spoiled with delicious, healthy locally sourced vegetarian food.
Back to nature and simplicity! Berberlands offers individual tours for people interested in authentic encounters with nature, culture and people. The Haha region is remote, offering magnificent trekking off the beaten track. Foreigners are still not a common sight at the Berber souks in the countryside. We have put together a fascinating and exciting programme providing an introduction to Essaouira and its surroundings and an insight into local Berber culture.
Arrival / Departure and further information
- Participants are responsible for their own travel arrangements to Morocco; we recommend flying into Marrakech. We can help arrange direct transfer to Douar Noujoum. The drive from the airport to the resort takes about 2,5 to 3 hours.
- We recommend that participants acquire travel cancellation insurance.
- To enter Morocco your passport has to be valid for min. 6 months. For tourist travel most visitors will get a stamp at the border control for a free 90-day tourist visa (as of 02/2018). Room occupation at Douar Noujoum begins upon arrival on Saturday, May 27. We will meet in the early evening for welcoming introductions as well as a first (soft) yoga session in our yoga hall, “Salle Les Pleiades“.
- Departure is after breakfast on Sunday, June 3. You have the option to extend your stay in Marrakech.