Sewall House Yoga Retreat, Maine
“Simplicity in a Complex World”
Sewall House in Maine was built in 1865 and is listed in the National Historic Registry. This is where Theodore Roosevelt healed from asthma with nature guide, William Sewall. In 1997, William’s great grand-daughter, NYC-based yoga teacher Donna Sewall Davidge, purchased the home to continue the legacy, offering personalized yoga retreats that included nature and nurture. During the main season, May-October, many lifelong friendships, such as William’s friendship with Teddy Roosevelt, are forged here at Sewall House. Sewall House is designed to support positive life changes without forcing you to adhere to a regimented program. Guests can be busy from dawn to dusk or have a more leisurely schedule. Our monthly newsletter keeps interested people up to date on our season and activities - sign up on our homepage.
Ongoing Yoga Retreats are held during our main season of May 21-Oct 18 with options to enjoy writing workshops, cooking lessons with guest chefs and more. Teacher Training is held for 3 weeks in May and September, training is limited to 5 participants.
Nov 22-27, 2017 Thanksgiving Yoga Retreat
May 26-June 15, 2018 Teacher Training
Sept 15-Oct 8, 2018 Teacher Training
Island Falls, Maine
- Rates depends on season and length of stay - range is $195 to $270 per night plus tax
- Single occupancy unless you are traveling with a friend for double occupancy (no single or bunk beds)
- Extra for full bath or queen bed
- Two yoga classes per day with emphasis on learning breath techniques with asana
- 3 meals each day
- Private bedroom
- Morning meditation
- Sauna and Jacuzzi
- Porch sitting
- Free WiFi
Donna Amrita Davidge has been teaching since 1985. She started with Kundalini and now encompasses a classic, eclectic style influenced strongly by Ashtanga, Iyengar and Dharmayoga. Donna has produced yoga products, been on National TV and in magazines, and is an animal and environmental activist. She has a Masters degree in Nutrition and a 500 E-RYT.
We create retreats unique to each individual based on their needs and work with life changes frequently, whether they be physical, mental or emotional challenges that guests are dealing with which can be helped with the therapeutic techniques of yoga, whether it be breath, asana or meditation.
Bed and Breakfast style rooms, each with their own theme and full sized beds. All but one bedroom shares bathrooms. There are 3 bathrooms for guests to share.
- Lifestyle counseling
- Food and nutrition education
- Small personalized classes for all levels
- Nearby gift shops and River Café
- Small town New England charm
- Nearby lakes for kayaking and swimming (and doing yoga)
- Nearby hikes including waterfalls
- Ovo-lacto vegetarian meals with mostly organic ingredients
- See our reviews to know how folks like the food
- Special needs such as gluten free or vegan are accommodated for an extra $10 per day
- Local Amish community and store
- 200 hour teacher trainings
- Airfare / Transportation
- Bike rental
- Some hikes are extra
- Laundry service